We have applied our final coat of mud and are just waiting for things to dry completely, make a few touch ups (you can see our markers as little dots of blue tape) and then it will be time for paint!
We did out semi-final sanding today (still have those wet spots and touch ups to do) and it was... dusty.
Hopefully things will go a bit faster once we are on to painting. I am so jazzed to actually have some electrical outlets down there soon, instead of 500 extension cords strewn all over the floor! Then tiling! Then floor! And ceiling!
So anyway, the point of this post is to share a little project David and I did over Christmas. We have been wanting to find a way to hide at least one of the cat litter boxes both for aesthetics and also because the dog likes to *ahem* snack from it. We really liked the cabinet idea but not the price of a pre-made one, so when we found one that would work at Ikea a little while ago, we added it to our Christmas wish list.
This is what we chose. We liked it because it was the perfect size, doubled as a bench, and has a drawer that rolls out for easy cleaning.
So once we got it assembled, it was time to modify it.
We determined our hole size based on the size of our cat door. It was 8"x8". David used a jig saw to cut it out after I drew it on the outer portion of the bench.
Then we put the drawer in place and traced the opening onto it so we would be sure they lined up.
David cut that one out and we were in business. The cats were already very interested.
Then I just got some iron-on melamine edging from Lowe's and attached that to the rough edges.
I'll spare you a picture of the inside of the bench. Nobody wants to see that mess.
Eventually this will move down to the basement bathroom, but I wanted to go ahead and get the cats used to this new contraption, so I wasn't springing too many box changes on them at once.
Hopefully soon I'll be able to show off some pictures of my painted basement!
P.S. Check out my blog header - I updated with a more current picture. :)