Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Finishing the New Border

I am calling our new front flower bed border officially complete and I couldn't be happier with it.

When I left off last, I had not even finished laying paver blocks. I finished that up on Saturday (after running to Lowe's to buy 125 more while they were still on sale). Initially the plan to was to just redo the border on the front of the house and someday continue it around the side to eliminate the need for edging there as well.

However, I found that I enjoyed the process so much that I wanted to continue around the side as well.

Next up was laying down landscape fabric over the grassy areas that were soon to be flower beds and laying mulch over that. The final step was to add sand in between the paver stones to help stabilize everything.

On some sharper curves, I had large gaps between stones. I didn't have the capability to cut the blocks to fit these spaces, I used some of my coarser grit sand to fill those larger gaps first.

 After that, came the fine grit. I used play sand. I found it easiest to scoop some from the bag into a smaller bowl for transport. Then I dumped some onto the blocks and used my hand to spread it around and work it into the cracks.

I smoothed everything out as much as I could.

Then Cait (who helped me with this last step this morning) followed behind me and used a small brush to sweep away the excess sand. She described this as "extremely satisfying."

You can see the difference between swept (on the bottom) and unswept (on the top).

 Then we were done!

Here's another shot where you can see the difference the sand makes.

 And here are some gratuitous finished shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment