Thursday, August 15, 2013

Finally Getting Some Shoe Organization.

Earlier this year, David and I got inspired to make our small closet a little more efficient. We replaced the single rod and shelf above it with a narrow bookshelf in the center, with double rods on each side and one long shelf over the top. We also installed lights on a dimmer so when one of us is getting dressed in the morning, we can see our clothes without blinding the other person.


It's worked wonderfully and we still love it, however, something was missing.


And that something was shoe organization. I had been on the lookout for one that would fit the space between the center shelf and wall, but at only 22" wide, it was more narrow than any I had found. Then, it occurred to me, why don't I just make my own? It's an incredibly simple design that even the most novice woodworker can tackle.

With the wood pile in the garage being organized, I knew I had the materials to build one. In fact, I planned to use the old wood shelves that came out of the bathroom closet when I updated it.

I started by measuring the space to see what the dimensions of the shelf needed to be, then I made a simple sketch of what I wanted it to look like.


Then, it was just a matter of measuring and cutting my wood. I needed two side pieces that were 12" tall, and 2 shelf pieces that were 21" wide. Each side piece was 3/4" thick, so I made sure to subtract that number from the width of the shelf pieces, otherwise the entire thing would be too wide to fit.

Once I got everything cut, I used a finish nailer to attach all the pieces, then took it upstairs to test it out. Unfortunately, it didn't fit. The wood I was using was quite warped, and so it ended up being about 1/2" too wide at the bottom, but fit perfectly on top. Instead of taking the whole thing apart and re-cutting my wood, I decided to shorten the side piece that was against to the wall so that it rested on top of the baseboard, instead of on the floor. I measured the height of the baseboard, then cut that amount off the side piece with the table saw.


I tested the fit again, with much success this time around. Then, it was painting time. I used a sample pot that I already had. It is Hacienda Tile by Valspar.


Once everything was dry, I set it in place.


You can see here how it sits on top the baseboard on the shorter side.


Much improved!


The entire project took about 1 1/2 hours, from measuring to putting the shoes on it, and was super easy! And the best part: since I used all materials I already had, it cost me nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment