Thursday, April 30, 2015

A Cushy Project

While I was super jazzed to get my dining table last week, one thing I did want to change about it was the fabric on the chairs.

It was looking a bit worn from so many years of family dinners, so I wanted to give it a bit of an update.

The first thing I did was remove the 4 screws on the bottom of each cushion to free it from the chair. Then I used a flat head screwdriver to pull out all the staples holding on the old fabric.

Once I got it off, I could see what I was working with. The foam was still in good shape, though a little thin. I decided to just add to it rather than replace it, so I bought a big roll of 1" thick foam along with 2 1/4 yards of the heavyweight fabric that I picked out.

First, I traced the seat onto my foam and cut it out.

It's a like a foam sandwich!

Then, I laid my seat, foam side down, onto my fabric and cut it out. I had planned for a 3" overlap on all sides.

I put one staple on each of the four sides and flipped over the cushion to make sure my pattern was straight and centered.

Then I just went crazy pulling the fabric tight and stapling along all the sides. I made sure to fold under the raw edge of the fabric so there wouldn't be any unraveling.

Then it was time to reattach it to the chair!

I did one chair at first to make sure I knew what I was doing. Once I was sure it came out to my liking, I cut out all my materials and did the chairs all at once.

I'm loving the bright new fabric, especially with my navy rug and wall.

Jawn Watson likes it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment