Wednesday, May 6, 2015

New Life For the Round Table


See that round table? It was David's family dinner table while we was growing up and it spent the entire duration of our basement renovation being shuffled from one place to another and getting lots of heavy tools thrown onto it. Its matching chairs were also mercilessly used as step stools.

Needless to say, it was looking a little worse for wear once things wrapped up downstairs. I wanted to keep it because I knew it would make a great game table and all it needed was a little love.


I used some heavy duty stripper (the same stuff I used on the carport stairs) and a plastic scraper to get most of the finish off the top.


The orbital sander took me the rest of the way down to bare wood. I applied a coat of Kona stain and two coats of satin polyurethane.

For the base of the table, I painted it grey with a sample pot of paint I had sitting around.


The chairs, unfortunately, were too far gone from their abuse in the basement. I picked up these chairs at Bargain and Buyouts in Cincinnati. That place is pretty awesome, by the way. The table had its inaugeral game playing on Wednesday night and it worked out great.


Also on the basement decorating front, I finally got some shelves put up in the laundry room.


The baskets are holding paper towels, light bulbs and extension cords. I'm trying out the whole detergent-in-drink-dispenser thing. If it seems to be working out, I plan to replace that 2 gallon behemoth with something a little smaller. Update: Since writing this last week, I have found that it does not work at all. The detergent is too thick and just kind of slowly trickles out. No bueno.


I also put the ironing board up on hooks and made a little shelf to go above the sink. Now there's a place to set the soap!

No comments:

Post a Comment