Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Tiniest and Most Precious Succulent Planter

I'd been on the lookout for a table to runner for the dining table, since it was feeling a bit naked with nothing on it. I didn't want anything too busy because there was so much pattern in the rug and chairs. I wasn't finding anything I liked, until I started organizing my fabric in my new filing cabinet. That's when it struck me that I could very easily make my own and I had some fabric that would work perfectly.


I just cut two widths of fabric 18" wide and sewed them together to make one long strip, then hemmed all four sides.

Earlier that day, I had been on the other end of town when I passed by a Goodwill that I've always been able to find good stuff at. I decided to go in, and I'm very glad I did because I found the perfect item for a centerpiece!


This candle holder was only $2.50 and I had big ideas for it. I had been seeing lots of cute planters online with tiny succulents in them. I had been wanting to bring more plant life into my house, so this was the perfect opportunity.


I cut and stained a piece of fence picket (the same one from my camera shelf project) and hot glued the candle holder onto it.


I picked up five 99 cent votive holders from Michaels.


Along with an assortment of the tiniest and most precious little succulents ever from Lowe's.


I love how it turned out.


My cats are big fans of eating plants, so I try to keep greenery out of their reach. I was hopeful since these aren't leafy that they would be left alone. I wasn't so lucky. One of the cats has been munching away and pulling plants out of their pots. I have placed orange peel around the plants which seems to be working for now, but I am considering options of buying/making a plexiglass box of some sort to cover over the whole shebang.


Anyone else have any succulent planters? I'd love to see them!

Update: The cats never did leave the plants alone, so you can see how I made a plexiglass cover for the planter here.

No comments:

Post a Comment