Monday, May 11, 2015

Fabric Filing

Since the introduction of my craft room, I have been on the look out for a small filing cabinet so that I could try out a Pinterest organizing idea for my out of control scrap fabric pile.

Sadly, I did not take a before picture but imagine a precariously, leaning, haphazardly folded pile of fabric on a closet shelf and you'll have the idea.

I had been popping into my neighborhood Goodwill from time to time without much luck, so when I found this little guy I was really jazzed.


It wasn't too beat up and the drawers still opened and closed pretty smoothly. Plus it was only $5.50 so I snatched it up and lugged it to the register.

When I got it home, I roughed up the finish with some sandpaper, then got started painting with a matte finish spray paint in white.


Looking much better already!


Once it was dry, I brought it inside and got started making my stencil to jazz it up a little. I stuck on some vinyl contact paper where my design was going to go.


Then I taped a print out over the vinyl.


Finally, I used an xacto knife to cut through the paper and the vinyl and removed the part that would be painted. While I was at it, I painted the handles, as well.


After that had dried, it was time to get all my fabric organized! I picked up some basic hanging file folders and cut each one in half at the fold, giving me two hanging pieces from each folder.


Then I just draped my cuts of fabric over the folder halves. It looks soooo much better than the crazy pile I did have going on. Now, I can actually see what I have and get to it all without a fabric avalanche, or fabrilanche, if you will.


Plus, it lives right next to my sewing machine for super easy access. I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment