Friday, May 8, 2015

A Home For My Cameras

The area above the fireplace has been looking a little bare. I knew that it would be a great place to display my vintage camera collection, but I wasn't sure how to do it. My original idea was to install floating shelves but that would require me to drill into the tile and I really wanted to avoid that.

Then, as always, Pinterest came to the rescue with a solution for my woes: a hanging shelf. There are lots of different variations of this idea, from wire to rope, ceiling or wall mounted. I would hang mine from the ceiling with hooks, eliminating the need to put holes in my tile. I also decided to use wood and rope because I already had those things on hand.

I found a nice rustic looking fence picket in my scrap wood pile and cut it down into 3 pieces, each 18" long which I had previously determined was the length I wanted.


I gave them a light sanding and then clamped them all together and drilled a hole in each corner with a 1/2" bit. Then I cut two 8' lengths of sisal rope.


I had David install the two hooks in the ceiling using anchors.


I got my first board in place by pulling each end of the rope through the two holes on each side of the board, then tying knots for the board to rest on. I then hung it up on the hooks to make it easier to finish. I adjust my four knots until the board was sitting level front to back and side to side.


I did the same thing with the other two boards and cut off the excess rope from the bottom.


I attached a piece of mounting tape to the back of each shelf to keep them from swaying.


Then I loaded it up.


I did leave off my two favorite cameras for the first few days because the cats were showing a little too much interest in things and I didn't want them getting knocked to the floor.


This guy is my absolute favorite. It belonged to my dad. On the back it says "Made in Occupied Japan" which, according to my brief research, indicates it was made between 1947 and 1949.


Most of the others came from various yard sales through the years. They've mostly lived in storage up until now so I'm really excited to finally have a place to display them!

No comments:

Post a Comment